Saturday, August 3, 2013

Shark Mania


     Summertime in the Philadelphia area generally means one thing…going to "the shore".  As a child, my grandparents would take us to Wildwood, NJ every summer.  For those of you who immediately associate the beaches in New Jersey with the television show “Jersey Shore”, I promise you, it was nothing like that! 
     When I think of my grandparents, wonderful memories of our summer trips come to mind.  Yet, my train of thought is easily derailed.  I start off picturing sand castles, seashells, walks on the beach, and sunlight glistening off the ocean.  That’s where it all falls apart.  The instant I think of oceans, I immediately think of Jaws.  I love that movie.  Of course, with Shark Week starting tomorrow, I am more than ready to get my fill of Great White attacks. 
     I’ve found a way to highlight my shark obsession into two books of my “Journal of the Undead” series.  If I can find a way to reference sharks and/or Jaws in the third book, I definitely will.  I think Jaws character, Matt Hooper, summed it up best when he said, “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine.  It's really a miracle of evolution.  All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks, and that's all.  Sharks truly are an evolutionary wonder.  Shark movies are almost guaranteed to draw crowds, even if they never quite generate the magic of Spielberg’s 1975 classic.  The Jaws theme just might be the most recognizable tune ever composed. 
     Though I do not receive any compensation for it, I’d still like to encourage you to check out Shark Week on Discovery Channel.  They never fail to deliver.  As a little teaser, here’s a link to their incredibly funny “Snuffy the Seal Commercial”.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YQBulqQSNw
 Usually, I conclude by saying, “Sleep Well”.  Just for tonight, I’m going to switch it up and offer you another quote from Jaws.  You’ll have to imagine Quint singing.  His voice is only slightly better than mine.  
  Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies.  Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so never more shall we see you again. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment