Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Restored Faith in Humanity

     I am often surprised by the inordinate amount of complaining and bad-mouthing found on social media sites.  If an alien race is monitoring our technology, looking for a glimpse into humanity, then there is a good chance they’ll want to exterminate us.  One minute brokenhearted singles will be posting embarrassing pictures of their exes on Facebook, while extremists are trashing a rival group on Twitter, then BLAM!  Incinerating laser beams from space will wipe out every man, woman and child on the planet.  In an effort to stave off our extermination, I’d like to share a story about the kindness of complete strangers.
     Recently, I submitted an article to a magazine for publication but I needed some photographs to go along with the story.  There are plenty of pictures of Halligan Tool’s online but I encountered some difficulty securing the rights.  The last thing I’d ever want to do is infringe on someone’s copyright.  So, I decided to take a shot in the dark and call my local Fire Department.  They gave me permission to come by and take as many pictures as I wanted.  I was ecstatic that they were so accommodating but it got even better.  When I arrived, they gave me a quick tour and then we went out to the garage.  Not only was I permitted to take pictures; they let me hold it and swing it around.  When I had taken all the pictures I needed, they proceeded to show me other tools and equipment that might be helpful.  They took time out of their busy schedule to help me and never once made me feel like I was a bother or an imposition.
     I have always had a great deal of respect for Firefighters because of their hard work and dedication.  Anyone who chooses to risk their lives, to protect their community, is an ace in my book but this was above and beyond the call of duty.  It was extraordinary to learn about the different tools of their trade straight from the men who use them.  One thing is for certain; when the zombies rise up, if you do not have a stash of weapons, go immediately to your local fire station because they have some of the best non-firing tools/weapons ever manufactured.  My deepest thanks and appreciation to the fine men and women at the Fairmont Fire Department for your kindness and the amazing work you do!    

No comments:

Post a Comment