Sunday, August 11, 2013

Horror-ific

     Like the saying goes, “Some people just want to watch the world burn.”  For those of you who do, it really only takes three words.  “Freddy or Jason”.  Horror fans fight, to the bloody end, over which slasher king rules supreme.  Both franchises left a lasting impression on me.
     I first saw Friday the 13th when I was nine.  Let’s just say my babysitter was less than diligent, but I loved it.  Sure, it scared the crap out of me, especially since I had just come home from summer camp but it was well worth the sleepless nights.  Needless to say, after my mom found out, I never had that babysitter again.  I had to wait until I got a little older to see the rest of the series.  Just for fun, when I go into my basement, alone at night, I like to make the sound effect.  “Ki Ki Ki Ma Ma Ma.”  That little clip is almost as recognizable as the first few notes of the Jaws theme. 
     My introduction to Freddy, and his A Nightmare on Elm Street, was during a visit with my older cousin.  Sensing a theme here?  My mom did not approve of horror movies.  It took a few years, and the realization that, one way or another; I was going to see them, before I could watch horror films at home.  I’m sure you can imagine how thrilled she is, that I am writing horror, but that is for another post. 
    What captivated me the most about A Nightmare on Elm Street was the psychological aspect.  I have always had very vivid dreams.  The idea of a nightmare becoming a physical reality was sheer brilliance.  For those of you who either, cannot remember your dreams or they’re just bland and boring, you are truly missing out!  Every night, when I close my eyes, it’s like having the best seat at a private screening for a new movie.  Because of my overactive imagination, I was able to embrace the character of Freddy in a more personal way.  My dreams would make the perfect playground for a villain like Freddy Krueger.  Plus, my quirky, offbeat, sense of humor appreciated his snide little quips. 
     Personally, I found the Friday the 13th movies, as a whole, scarier that A Nightmare on Elm Street.  However, in the character debate, I’ll choose Freddy every time.  “One, two, Freddy’s coming for you”.  Sleep well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment