Monday, October 7, 2013

Serial Killer's Diary: Part 4

**Warning: these entries may be graphic and, hopefully, frightening.  Keep in mind this is merely fiction.  No humans (or animals) have or will be harmed in the production of this blog.  All names have been chosen at random and are not meant to represent anyone, living or dead.  Any similarities are purely coincidental** 

10/7/13   3:15 PM

      My Sunday didn’t turn out to be as relaxing as I had hoped.  I was rudely awoken by my manager begging me to cover the mid-morning and lunch shifts because one of their many college students didn’t show up for work.  What is it with kids today?  I’m not exactly old but I was raised with a work ethic unlike these lazy brats who are so full of entitlement that they think the world should be handed to them on a silver platter.  My dad would have beaten my ass if I acted like that…obviously, he found other reasons but that particular rant is for another day.
      My “few hours to cover the lunch shift” turned into an all-day-until-closing-time shift.  If I didn’t need the money so badly, I would have called off today.  After losing my “real” job, I was forced to take whatever I could get.  Yet another reason Dr. Jenkins is history.  She didn’t care that I’d lost my job because she insisted on ordering a barrage of lengthy tests, forcing me to take off work because she couldn’t do them all in one day and she refused to work evenings or weekends.  She had the nerve-no, the gall- to pretend to be surprised that I’d been fired for excessive absences.  “But I gave you a note”, she whined as if I was a child in school and somehow “a note” was a magical shield to protect me. Welcome to the “at will work state” where they can fire you for any reason whatsoever and you can’t do a thing about it.  Stupid bitch.  I’m stuck on the dinner to close shift tonight and if my schedule doesn’t improve, Jack, my manager might be joining our good doctor. 
      Speaking of…I happened to catch a glimpse of the Sunday paper.  One of our patrons had left it behind, instead of a tip. (another one who deserves the same fate as Jenkins)  She was front page news, of course.  But get this; they’ve arrested her estranged husband for the murder.  She had gone to dinner with him on Friday night and they’d had a very loud and very public argument.  The next morning when her housekeeper found Dr. Jenkins sprawled on the floor in a pool of her own blood she immediately contacted the police.  With no signs of forced entry, hubby was the prime suspect.  Besides, she was, to quote the paper, “a beloved member of the community”. So it looks like I’m in the clear.  I suppose I should feel bad that an innocent man might go to jail for my crime but I don’t.  Hard to believe it but he was a bigger scumbag than her.  His rap sheet was a mile long before the death of his wife.  Domestic disturbances and assault were at the top of the list.  No wonder they’ve nailed this joker. 
       My success has only fueled my desire to continue the work I’ve begun, and I don’t mean at the restaurant.  But I need to be careful.  My first mission was sloppy and ill-conceived.  It was sheer, dumb luck that it all panned out but I can do better.  I need to lay low for a while but I’ve never felt more alive.  I’ve finally found my true calling and my job as a waiter gives me just the flexibility I need to continue.   

No comments:

Post a Comment