Saturday, October 26, 2013

Serial Killer's Diary: Part 21

**Warning: these entries may be graphic and, hopefully, frightening.  Keep in mind this is merely fiction.  No humans (or animals) have or will be harmed in the production of this blog.  All names have been chosen at random and are not meant to represent anyone, living or dead.  Any similarities are purely coincidental**


10/26/13   3:45  PM

      I barely slept last night and no matter how hard I try, I can’t even catch a nap.  Every time I close my eyes I can see her lying there, stiff and lifeless as her mom thrusts down and down again in chest compressions.  It’s not like I have a priest or something and I sure as hell don’t want to confess to the police so I guess this is my outlet.  I was so distraught that I couldn’t even write it down last night.  Sadly, I wasn’t able to tune it out though.  I wanted it to turn out so differently.  I wanted her.  As I watched her mom-pressing down with all of her strength while tears streamed down her cheeks, my vision blurred.  But I should back up and explain it all.  Maybe if I get it all off my chest I can finally get some sleep…
      After I sprinkled the Hemlock on Natalie’s food, yesterday afternoon, I high-tailed it out of the parking lot.  I remembered that she was scheduled to work until 8 because I was foolishly clinging to the idea that maybe she and I could go out after work.  I tried not to think about her but I couldn’t help it.  At 7:40 I finally gave up.  I drove over toward the restaurant and parked next door in the Starbuck’s lot.  I saw Natalie exit but she was followed by someone else.  I had borrowed Mr. Flemming’s binoculars a while back and there were still in my glove box.  As I peered through the high powered lenses I noticed it was Don.  They stood by her car for a few moments and then he kissed her.  I hope Don gets pounded into oblivion by his cellmate when he ends up prison.  Anyway, she got in her car and I followed from a safe distance.  I expected her to drive to her apartment, which is why I brought the binoculars but she didn’t.  I saw her pull into the driveway of a large house with blue shutters.  I drove past the driveway and up the hill.  From across the street I could see into the house through the gigantic bay windows.  Natalie walked in without knocking so, naturally, I was curious.  I could see her hugging an older couple and, judging from their age, I assumed it was her parents.  I watched her cross through to the back of the house and pop her take-out container into the microwave.  She was sitting at the kitchen table talking then her mom hugged her again.  I watched as she dug into her food and washed it down with a large glass of iced tea.  Well, I assumed it was iced tea-it was brown and there was a lemon slice floating in the glass. 
      I began to wonder if I had put enough Hemlock in the food.  It seemed like I was waiting there, watching through those binoculars for an eternity.  Finally, Natalie stood and started walking out of the kitchen when she froze.  Next thing I knew, she tipped over onto the floor like a felled tree-stiff and lifeless.  I could see her mom shriek and I swear I could hear it piercing my eardrums like a silent dart.  I could see her mouth, “call nine-one-one as she dropped to her knees and flipped Natalie over.  Her father dashed to the phone.  They still have a wall phone hanging in their kitchen. 
      Weird, I never really had a relationship with my dad.  He’d left us and I lived with my mom until she killed herself.  By then, he was already involved with another woman and had a new family.  I ended up in a boarding school, essentially an orphan.  But Natalie, she clearly had a family that she loved and they loved her.  Even her dad was sobbing openly when the EMT’s carted her out of the house on the gurney.  It wasn’t until I went to put the binoculars back that I realized they were soaking wet.  The tears streaming down my face matched those of Natalie’s father.  

No comments:

Post a Comment