Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Loyalty (or Favorite Things Continued)


     As I mentioned yesterday, the subject of ‘favorites’ often overwhelms me, particularly when it pertains to books or movies.  I relate so deeply and personally to creative works, such as books, movies, or music that they become a part of me.  It almost feels like betraying a friend: choosing one to be elevated to the highest pedestal while lording it over the rest.  Since others are often fascinated by my choice of favorites, I am obligated to comply with social convention.  
     Last night, I tried to break books down by genre to reach my overall favorite.  I am not going to put any of us through that today.  Loyalty plays a big part in my choice for favorite movie.  Growing up, my family didn’t have lots of money.  I was ten years old when we finally got cable.  With only a handful of local channels, believe me, I looked forward to special feature movies.  I remember seeing The Wizard of Oz for the first time when I was about four years old.  I did not move from my seat for the entire two hours, not even during commercials.  These days, you can turn on TBS and watch The Wizard of Oz almost every week but back then; I had to wait for almost a year to see it again.  It became a ritual, every year around Easter.  I would plant myself in front of the television to be submerged in a magical land of talking creatures, wicked witches, and singing munchkins.  To this day, I will stop everything if it’s on…even though I own the limited edition, 70th anniversary collector’s box set on blu-ray.  Any movie, that can captivate a person for decades, deserves to be “the favorite”.  A true classic is timeless and, without a doubt, The Wizard of Oz is a classic.  It has something for everyone: fantasy, music, creepy flying monkeys, cursed shoes, opium fields and the mythical horse of another color.  The opening dedication says it all; a movie for “the young, and the young at heart”.  Go ahead, pop in the DVD and sleep well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment