Monday, July 29, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things, Part 1


     The things we like, say a lot about who we are.  A few days ago, a Facebook follower requested that I answer some questions about my favorite things.  They asked for a review of my favorite books, movies, video games, and comic books.  I always try to accommodate requests from followers so it looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me, for the next few days.  Okay, here we go!  
     I think I’m going to tackle video games tonight.  To be completely honest, I am not a huge gamer because, visually, I have difficulty playing.  However, there are some games that have such great storylines that I’ve taken to reading the books instead.  A perfect example is “Gears of War”.  Not only is Karen Traviss an excellent writer, the game developers created a compelling story with well-defined, fully dimensional characters.  Even if you’ve never played the games, the books are well worth a read.  Coincidentally, Karen Traviss has also written books for the Halo series.  From that I’ve seen, the Halo games are not quite as solid as the books.  In this case, I would definitely choose the book over the video game because both Karen Traviss and Eric Nylund have written compelling stories in Halo’s universe. 
     I’ve danced around the question for a while but, truthfully, if I have to pick one video game then I’m going old school.  For me, nothing beats the original Super Mario Brothers games.  In video games, like books, the classics are timeless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment