Friday, June 28, 2013

When the lights go out

     Okay.  First, get your minds out of the gutter!  I write horror not romance.  Today, thanks to some pretty violent thunderstorms, our power went out.  Let me be the first to admit it... in my opinion, being "unplugged" is a nightmare of the worst kind!  After just a few hours, I can get the kind of cabin fever that would make Jack Torrance from "The Shining" look well adjusted.  As luck would have it, my sweetie was home today so crisis was averted and there were no casualties.  I'm sure no one wanted to see me running through the house with an ax, splintering doors anyway.
     Instead, we pulled out the old board game Scrabble and passed the time in friendly competition.  I enjoy Words With Friends, but there's a certain olde timey fun to the classic game.  The wooden tiles and cardboard playing surface take you back to an age long before cellphones, Blu-ray and the Internet.  Of course, this also got me thinking about the history behind the beloved game.  As someone who hopes to make a living with words, this piqued my interest.
     I'm sure I've mentioned my ongoing love affair with Google in previous posts.  As soon as the power was back on, I made a beeline for my laptop.  Yes, I do have a smartphone and, yes,  I could have done my research that way but I love my laptop even more than I love Google, so I waited.  Besides, I had the game itself to distract me.  Anyway, I learned that the game originally began as another title but in 1948 it was dubbed Scrabble and has been so ever since.  Just to put things in perspective, because 1948 was WAY before my time, here's a few of 1948's highlights in addition to Scrabble:  Warner Bros. shows the first color newsreel,  Indian pacifist Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated; though I am loathe to mention it, the stock car racing organization NASCAR was founded and the Hell's Angels motorcycle gang was also founded, "Gentleman's Agreement" won the Oscar for best picture, the World Health Organization was established by the UN, the first monkey astronaut, Albert I was launched into space and Harry S. Truman was reelected. 
     So, there you have it.  Some slightly off-kilter ramblings after a wire free, off the grid, kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment