Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dream Warriors

     I can almost guarantee that anyone who is a fan of the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" series, read the title of this post in a high-pitched quasi-metal voice, just like the title track of the third movie.  Silly as it may sound, many writers get their inspiration from dreams.  Authors like Mary Shelley, H.P. Lovecraft, and even E.B. White have all attributed their stories to dreams they'd had.  Most of the storyline in my first book came from a dream.  In fact, a few of the characters that are introduced in the third book were from a dream that I'd had years before starting the series.  I was so excited to finally be able to use them.  It's almost like creating a character based on an old friend.
     I've had extremely vivid dreams since I was a young child.  Some of them stuck with me, recurring through the years, here and there.  I can still remember a particularly upsetting nightmare I had when I was four years old.  Back then, I dreaded nightmares but as I got older I relished them.  It's like getting a free ticket to an advance screening of a brand new horror film every night!  What could be better than that?
       

No comments:

Post a Comment