Monday, June 17, 2013

Confessions, Part One.

     Okay, I'm just going to right out and say it..... I hate spiders.  I have tried, my very best, to avoid them at all costs.  I do not seek them out and I'd really prefer if they would extend the same courtesy to me.  But alas, this has never been the case.  Despite my best efforts to keep my distance, they seem hell-bent on circumventing my will.  Call me paranoid, but I swear they only come out when I am alone.
     A few weeks ago, I posted an anecdote on my Facebook page about a friend of mine with a similar distaste for the eight-legged creeps.  After she has successfully vanquished her foes with her husband's hockey stick, she returned the weapon to its resting place.  She returned to her laundry room and, now weaponless, a third, monstrously huge spider crept out.  The vile creature had blocked her path to her weapon.  Of course, I pointed out that being separated from your weapon can be a fatal mistake, particularly if the enemy is a zombie. 
     So, you may be wondering why I am bringing this up again.  I caught the beginning of the movie, "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" during HBO's free preview.  I wouldn't consider what I am going to tell you a "spoiler" but, just to cover all bases, [spoiler alert].  In this particular scene, Steve Carell's character sees a spider in his bathroom sink.  He wads up a handful of toilet paper and was just about to squash the sucker when he has a change of heart.  He tosses away the paper and smiles contentedly down at the spider he spared.  That night as he is sleeping, we see, presumably, the same spider crawling up the side of his face.  Personally, I think anyone who allows spiders to crawl on them for the sake of entertaining others should either win an Oscar or be committed, but that's just me.  Anyway, we see Mr. Carell's character the next morning and he has welts all over the side of his face from spider bites.  This just proves what I have been saying all along.  If you see them, kill them!  Coincidentally, that is my same stance on zombies.  

P.S.  I've titled this entry "Confessions, Part One" because, undoubtedly, I will have more confessions at some point in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment