Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Common sense is surprisingly UNcommon.

     This week, I have been fortunate enough to spend some time with my, soon-to-be-sixteen-year-old, nephew.   Having him visit has always been fun but, now that he is older, we share more interests.  Because of my books, he is growing more and more fascinated with zombies.  (I believe one of my earlier posts made it clear that I may not be the best influence)  Last night we stayed up late and watched a couple of horror movies.  I'm so relieved that I don't have to worry about giving him nightmares anymore because I let him watch scary movies.  I think the best part was how hard we laughed at the incredibly, ridiculously, stupid things horror movie characters do. 
     It has always astonished me that most characters in a horror movie, clearly have never seen a horror movie.  I mean, seriously, why would anyone run upstairs if a deranged psychopath with an ax (or a chainsaw) entered their home?  In the same vein, if your hometown has been overrun with flesh-eating walking corpses, you should not enter someone's home and shout, "Hello" at the top of your lungs.  In fact, the smart thing to do would be to knock on the door softly and listen for a reply.  If you hear moaning through the door, do not go in!  I guess in movies, just like real life, common sense is surprisingly uncommon. On occasion, the characters in my books make jokes to that effect. 
     I sincerely hope, should catastrophe befall you, that you do not make the same ill-fated mistakes as so many movie characters.  Do your research ahead of time and you just might survive.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment