Monday, September 30, 2013

Lullaby

      I've recently re-read (again) Chuck Palahnuik's "Lullaby" and even though I loved it the first time, I think my opinion improves every time I read it.  I have to admit, the idea of a culling song is brilliant.  In fact, it's so brilliant I wish I'd come up with it.  There are times when all of us wish we had that kind of power at our disposal.  Yet, Palahnuik's genius is playing the devil's advocate and presenting the less-than-rosy burden of wielding such a vicious weapon: the inadvertent side effect of killing unintentionally. 
      Like that bubble-gummy pop song that your co-worker, in the next cubicle, enjoys playing, or that annoying jingle for car insurance, songs get stuck in your head and once it's there...good luck getting rid of it. Without even thinking, that culling song wiped out the entire PTA meeting or your kid's soccer coach.  Your neighbor with the bad breath and the darn Girl Scouts selling cookies when you're on a diet-gone.  The guy across the street with the dog that barks all night long and the pizza delivery driver who squashed your dinner are toast.  
      So, you're wondering where the downside is, right?  Subconsciously, you've also zapped your cousin for forgetting your birthday and your best friend for beating you in fantasy football.  Don't laugh-fantasy football is cutthroat!  Bottom line: there's a reason the average Joe cannot harness that kind of power.  Most people don't have enough control of their subconscious mind and they'd be the only one left on the planet.  Hmm, maybe that's not so bad after all.  Close your eyes, snuggle with your favorite blanket and I'll sing you a lullaby.  Sleep well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment