Tuesday, September 3, 2013

#JTR125

     When I decided to take the weekend off from blogging, I hadn’t looked at the dates.  It figures, right?  In fact, after realizing my mistake, I considered posting anyway but I figured it could wait.  If you don’t recognize the hashtag, you may be wondering what the fuss is all about.  This past Saturday, August 31st, was the 125 anniversary of Jack the Ripper’s gory but short-lived killing spree that all started with the discovery of a butchered Mary Ann Nichols.  As most of you know, I have a freakish fascination with serial killers.  Serial killers who never got caught…now that’s really captivating. 
     The lore that follows Jack the Ripper ranges from thought provoking to full-fledged conspiracy theories, but I can’t get enough.  I was particularly impressed with a documentary I’d seen a few months ago.  The filmmakers suggested that The Ripper actually emigrated to from Great Britain and ended up in America.  Murders with a similar style had been committed here in the States but, after the suspect was captured, the murders ceased.  Everyone, from bloggers to Hollywood moguls, loves to speculate about Jack the Ripper’s identity.   
     Almost as famous as the man himself, the taunting letters allegedly sent from the elusive murderer to the newspapers, play a vital role in Ripper Lore.  I can’t help but wonder if he had, in fact, sent them or if it was a hoax.  If he did, not only was he ballsy, it means he gave himself the name, “Jack the Ripper”. 
     The elements of the unknown make the legend of Jack the Ripper, truly nightmare worthy.  Sleep well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment